The origins of the Garofoli winery date from the end of the 19th century, from 1871, when Antonio Garofoli had already began the production and sale of local wines. His son Gioacchino continued and expanded the paternal business. In 1901, he founded the Gioacchino Garofoli winery. His two sons, Franco and Dante, succeeded him in management of the estate after World War II. Gioacchino Garofoli became a company in 1950 and embarked on a process of strong development. Following tradition, Franco’s sons, Carlo and Gianfranco, joined the family company’s staff in the early seventies. They worked together with the preceding generation for more than 20 years and they energetically promoted further development of the winery from both the production and commercial standpoints. The Gioacchino Garofoli winery is now a joint-stock company owned and run by brothers Gianfranco and Carlo who are chairman and vice chairman, respectively. In September of 2005 the fifth generation entered the Garofoli company: Caorloìs daughter Beatrice and Gianfranco’s daughter and son, Caterina and Gianluca. In September 2005 the fifth generation entered the Garofoli company: Carlo’s daughter Beatrice and Gianfranco’s daughter and son, Caterina and Gianluca.